Saturday, May 07, 2005

Speaking of scones...

Scone is a mysterious word when you get to thinking about it. I generally pronounce it as "Scon" as in rhyming with Don, Con, John etc, but every so often as "Scowne" as in rhyming with throne. But then when you look at the word itself, it could also be pronounced as "Sqwun" because of the "one" in it...yet noone pronpunces it like that (I can see why) English is a v. complicated language...but I still love it! Anyways, can anyone think of any other weird word examples?

P.S. I nearly got run over at woolworths...what's wrong with the world that you can't walk in the middle of the road?

3 comments:

sez said...

elizabeth!! i'm SO proud!! heres one; tear [as in the ripping of paper] and tear [as in ur posting twice in a week brings a tear to my eye] are pronounced differently even though they're spelt the same. wow.

Elizabeth said...

Yeah, I remember that there was this poem that I found in English last year that really demonstrated how weird english can be...gotta love it. I'll put it in later when I find it.

sez said...

hey i remember that poem too...