Friday, August 05, 2005

The L in Avocado

I have a strange compulsion. It’s not so much an impulse or an urge, more of an inherent need – as though if I don’t do it, the world will fall apart around me, and the elephants will finally make their move and seize control. So what is it? What could possibly be so incorrect, and yet so unavoidable? Picture this: you’re writing a school assignment/email/shopping list, and it comes to the point where you have to write it, the word itself, avocado…on the surface of it, it seems simple, ordinary, not sinister in the least, but if this is truly the case, then why do I always spell it “AVOLCADO” ??? There has never been an “L” in avocado. There has never been a need to have an “L” in avocado. So why do I always see fit to put it there? It’s mind boggling. It causes alienation of a perfectly good word, and strikes fear in the hand of those (well, me…because I’m sure you can all spell it) writing it. Wow, now I can finally understand what it would be like to be one of “the Knights who say “Ni!””

I said It! Oh I said It again! You said It!!!

3 comments:

sez said...

well, that's like spelling any other word wrongly [such as 'can't' as 'kan't'...yes, yes i did that...] but avolcado... i dont think it shld be spelt avocado, it needs to be more avacadoh...avocadoh...i duno...but u make a valid point...although, how often do u write 'avocado' in emails?? OH and i've thought of another one; i ALWAYS put a 't' on the end of although = althought...sooo annoying!!! anyway, must dash... [well not really, i just can't think of anything else to write...]

CJ said...

haha u spell avocado wrong haha...sad coz u can spell antidisestablishmentarianism perfectly fine

sez said...

what is that word anyway?? [yay elizabeth!! 5 comments!!!