Sunday, October 02, 2005

The Sham of Hair Products - as September ends

This has been a particularly sporadic week, in most senses. (those being the lesson sense, the schedule sense, the normal sense, and the newspaper sense) But, when we came through it, at the other end lay the glittering thing. (I would have said prize, but when I typed it, it looked weird, so I decided to say thing instead) This will have to be a shorter-than-normal comment because I have to leave in a minute, but I just wanted to share a few thoughts.

1) All this month I’ve been hearing “Wake me up when September ends” by Greenday, and fair enough, it’s been a bit of a busy month. But here’s the thought. Our holidays begin pretty much at the end of September, in which time, all of us sleep deprived high-schooly types will be going to sleep. I just think it’s interesting that we’ve all been listening to a popular song singing about the exact opposite of what it is we want to do…or, if you want to take the symbolic view, maybe the song it completely and utterly correct. We’re “waking up” as it were, from the school term…or not…anyways…

2) Also, shampoo. Firstly, it’s name. Sham. Poo. What’s the meaning of that? Is it some sort of fake crap? Which would make it all the more disturbing that we all rub it into our hair (plural) at regular intervals. Secondly, shampoo hasn’t been around forever. There would have been centuries upon centuries of people who walked around with dirty hair, but it would have been considered normal. I’m just wondering where the turning point happened…when did someone decide: oh, I think I’ll toss some chemicals together and rub it in my hair and remove the waterproof layer, despite the fact that this would be against the social norms…and why did it catch on? Hmm…

Anyways, have great holidays everyone!

And watch Howl's Moving Castle!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CJ said...

great post elizabeth...sorry about the other nite...hope u have fun in HK!

sez said...

too true, too true, just like to say; good work on the newspaper, looks tres cool. and hope ur cousin's wedding was good and u have a GREAT time in HK :)

Anonymous said...

Your use of big words astounds me Elizabeth.
I wonder how George is? I mean him and that big balloon must be getting bored...I do bring him back to life every now and then. He loves me you know.
I was going to write something full of big, confusing words so both you and I could feel that little bit smarter...but I must go. Kyle just unbuttoned his jeans and I dont want to make the others feel stupid.
Peace Out. Speak to you soon. Looks like you're in HK, aye? Well you enjoy yourself...bring me something back.
-xx-

Mystycal Tycoon said...

sham. poo. fake feces? Interesting concept I'll grant you.. and Hal's moving castle is GRREAAT!!